There seems to be much confusion surrounding whether people should purchase an air purifier that has an ionizer. In the following reviews of the top air ionizers, one should be able to better formulate a plan about their next purchase. The fact of the matter is that ionizers help tremendously, not only enabling the unit itself to work more efficiently and effectively, but also they help people breathe better.
The quality of the air within a home or business setting is greatly increased and along with proper cleaning, an air ionizer purifier is one of the best items available on the market to date. An ionizer works to collect dust particles, dirt, dander and more. Allergens pose many health problems in people and more often than not, they do not even realize how affected by the air quality they are until they actually purchase an air ionizer purifier. So what is the best air ionizer purifier on the market in 2019? Our air ionizer reviews of the top 5 products this year should help in guiding you to choose the right one for your needs.
- O-Ion B-1000
- Technology: UVGI technology, Electrostatic Ionizer Purification
- Removes: pollutants and particles as small as 0.01 microns, germs, viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms that cause disease
- Other features: washable charcoal filter, 2 fan speeds, Permanent Electrostatic Dust Collector
- Dimensions: 17 x 6 x 7
- Lasko 4820
- Technology: fan with fresh air ionizer
- Removes: allergens, odors, pollutants and particles
- Other features: ETL listed, 3 speeds
- Dimensions: 13 x 13 x 48
- Best Choice Products® Living Fresh 3500 SQF
- Technology: Control Negative Ion Generator
- Removes: odors from molds, pollens, allergies, chemical gases, dust, tobacco smoke, pet smells, paint fumes, food and beverages, which causes sneezing, asthma, itchy eyes, sinus and ear irritations
- Other features: Solid Cherry Wood body, Covers 3500 Square FT
- Dimensions: 6 x 6 x 10
- Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier
- Technology: NEW TECHNOLOGY using UV light, photo-catalytic filter, washable Carbon filter and ceramic ozone plates
- Removes: dust, smoke and other harmful particles, capture particles below 0.3 microscopic particles, microorganisms such as bacterial, mold and viruses and remove bad smells in the air
- Other features: Five speed fan, five levels adjustable purifier, LCD display, Digital clock, Digital Timer function, Safety switch
- Dimensions: 15.5 x 12 x 11
- CleanAir Industrial Ionizer with Ozone Generator
- Technology: Air Cleaner Deodorizer Ionizer Purifier
- Other features: for unoccupied rooms use, 12 Hour Timer, UV LIGHT, and Hold Option
- Dimensions: 9 x 11 x 8
Top 5 Air Ionizers Reviewed
- 1 Top 5 Air Ionizers Reviewed
- 2 O-Ion B-1000 Permanent Filter Air Ionizer Purifier
- 3 Living Fresh 3500 SQF Air Ionizer Purifier
- 4 Lasko 4820 Xtra Air Tower Fan with Fresh Air Ionizer
- 5 Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier
- 6 CleanAir Industrial Air Ionizer Purifier with Air Cleaner and Ozone Generator
- 7 Best Air Ionizer Purifiers Comparison Chart
- 8 What Is an Air Ionizer?
- 9 What Does an Air Ionizer Do?
- 10 How to Choose the Best Air Ionizer Purifier
- 11 Air Ionizer Benefits
- 12 HEPA Air Purifier VS Ionic Air Purifier
- 13 What are the Dangers of Air Ionizers?
- 14 Conclusion
O-Ion B-1000 Permanent Filter Air Ionizer Purifier
Purifiers have come a long way technologically and currently utilize such things as ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) which is responsible for sanitizing the air. The O-Ion B-1000 Permanent Filter Air Ionizer Purifier is the best air ionizer on the market.
This best negative ion generator is not only durable, ionic, and electrostatic, it sanitizes while reducing odors at the same time. It is also capable of removing pollutants and allergens completely from the air. This greatly enhances the air quality wherever it is used on a regular basis, and it is simple for the consumer to tell the difference.
Many may know about how in many different water filtration systems, carbon is utilized as a filtration system, the same holds true for this line of ionizer purifiers.
The key feature, which makes this model unique, is the electrostatic dust collecting rod, which is permanent. It pulls out for easy removal and cleaning and can be cleaned using just a damp cloth. Single handed, this feature alone makes this purifier stand above its competition.
The ultraviolet technology is responsible for capturing and killing bacteria leaving the air – as pure as pure can be within a residence or business setting. Another neat function is that it has a night light pre-equipped on the power switch itself. While being able to generate enough negative ions (O1) to remove particles as little as 0.01 microns – microscopic – the air is freed of pollutants that cause odor and can be harmful to people’s health. Coming equipped with an AC to DC adapter, it also has two fan speeds – low and high – to help those control the circulation flow it cleans and purifies.
Living Fresh 3500 SQF Air Ionizer Purifier
The Living Fresh 3500 SQF, another one of the best ionic air purifiers, is constructed of both beautifully colored cherry colored wood (solid) and stainless steel. As a stand along purifier, there is no need to worry about it looking out of place, in any setting.
This model purifies and eliminates chemical gases, molds, allergens, pollens, paint fumes, tobacco smoke, pet odors, and much more. Anything that is traveling through the air causing asthma attacks, funky smells, and odors or just plain dust – the Living Fresh 3500 SQF Air Ionizer Purifier is ready for the task! With the ability to cover 3500 square feet, this purifier alone is ideal for office buildings, homes, hospitals, schools, etc.
While creating the natural balance between both positive and negative ions, what this purifier affords those who invest in it is nothing but clean, purified, air to breathe and help people stay healthy. Oftentimes, people do not put in much consideration about the harmful pollutants that are in the air not only inside but outside as well. Why not control the environment that you are spending a lot of your time in.
The Living Fresh 3500 SQF Air Ionizer Purifier is a perfect addition to any residential or commercial setting. The actual ion generator has its own separate control from the oxygen control unit, the negative ions that are created naturally keep dust levels lower and help it particulate. Unlike the first model discussed, this one utilizes ceramic plate filters, which can be easily removed and wiped down.
Lasko 4820 Xtra Air Tower Fan with Fresh Air Ionizer
According to numerous air ionizer reviews, the Lasko 4820 Xtra Air Tower Fan with Fresh Air Ionizer is a great deal. Consumers are very pleased with the price point on this model and state that they can noticeably tell the difference in the quality of air where it is used.
While not being loud, its sleek design does not stick out like a sore thumb in any setting. Being four feet tall, it is a perfect addition to larger domains. The fan has a fresh air ionizer but with its height, is able to oscillate a wide area all at one time. There are three speeds, low, medium, and high in which it can be adjusted and another great feature, is its multi-control remote.
Additionally, Lasko was thinking about energy savings when creating this Fresh Air Ionizer because it comes equipped with a seven-hour timer so one does not have to leave it running 24/7.
The patented design safety plug feature is unique but comes in handy and can fit nicely in the back of the unit itself. There is a small stargaze area perfect for wrapping up this ionized air purifier if it needs to be relocated. Equipped with a handle for easy carrying, there really is not a feature that was missed in creating this.
Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier
While balancing the ozone levels within a home or work setting, the Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier enhances breathing space quite a bit. While affording consumers the ability to create a natural balance indoors as the Earth does naturally outdoors, harmful particles, pollutants, and allergens are easily removed utilizing this model of the purifier.
The natural process of air purification will be gone over more in depth so people can grasp onto the concept of how an ionizer air purifier works.
- Utilizing a needlepoint ionizer which drops harmful particles form the air
- Increases the number of negative ions to latch onto positive ions, capturing such pollutants and allergens
- Utilizes electricity to split oxygen molecules down to a single atom which can then bond to create O3, which is activated oxygen
- Once unstable bonds between particles and air – the bonds created utilizing this technology enhances what nature does on its own
While using the Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier in conjunction with proper and regular cleaning, consumers are able to tell the major difference in the way that they breathe, feel, and how their home or office smells. Homes and offices generally block out the negative ions that are responsible for removing such harmful pollutants and allergens in the air, but with an ionizer, everything is captured and can easily be vacuumed or wiped away. Regular fans tend to blow everything around in the air, and air purifiers do not focus on the actual sanitation that ionizers offer. It is a wiser decision to invest in an ionizer because that is what makes the huge difference in air quality.
CleanAir Industrial Air Ionizer Purifier with Air Cleaner and Ozone Generator
The next best ionic air purifier, the CleanAir Industrial Air Purifier, that is also designed with an Air Cleaner and Ozone Generator, offers amazing capabilities but also comes with a warning as well. Yes, there are many benefits to utilizing and air ionizer purifier but there are air ionizer dangers as well that people should be aware of.
Since this particular model comes equipped with an Ozone Generator, it should only be used in areas that are unoccupied. Generated ozone can be harmful to humans and pets alike, causing more damage than good. While being able to greatly reduce harmful odors, chemicals, pollutants, etc. in the air, the output and force in which this model works – produce too many negative ions for living beings to be around all of the time and breathe in.
The CleanAir Industrial Air Ionizer Purifier with Air Cleaner and Ozone Generator deodorizes and sanitizes to the max. It has the ability to remove mold spores and the smell that accompanies, which anyone knows – is strong and distinct. It also does the same for second-hand smoke, rotten food odors within restaurants and more. While being able to actually rid an area of mildew, bacteria, and mold, this is one of the top of the line ionizing purifiers available on the market, to date.
The size of this unit is quite compact, but do not be fooled by its size. It is able to handle even the toughest jobs and greatly enhances the air quality and removes smells like no other. For areas that require sanitation on a daily basis, the CleanAir Industrial Air Ionizer Purifier with Air Cleaner and Ozone Generator is the unit to invest in. This model is only available for shipping the contiguous 48 states.
Best Air Ionizer Purifiers Comparison Chart
|O-Ion B-1000||UVGI technology, Electrostatic Ionizer Purification||17 x 6 x 7||washable charcoal filter, 2 fan speeds, Permanent Electrostatic Dust Collector|
|Lasko 4820||fan with fresh air ionizer||13 x 13 x 48||ETL listed, 3 speeds|
|Best Choice Products® Living Fresh 3500 SQF||Control Negative Ion Generator||6 x 6 x 10||Solid Cherry Wood body, Covers 3500 Square FT|
|Fresher Air Ionizer Purifier||NEW TECHNOLOGY using UV light, photo-catalytic filter, washable Carbon filter and ceramic ozone plates||15.5 x 12 x 11||Five speed fan, five levels adjustable purifier, LCD display, Digital clock, Digital Timer function, Safety switch|
|CleanAir Industrial Ionizer with Ozone Generator||Air Cleaner Deodorizer Ionizer Purifier||9 x 11 x 8||for unoccupied rooms use, 12 Hour Timer, UV LIGHT, and Hold Option|
What Is an Air Ionizer?
Many people may not know what an air ionizer is truly capable of or if they should even consider investing in one. Every room naturally has positive ions, negative ones as well but not as many that happen naturally in the outdoors. One may be asking themselves, how does an air ionizer work? It will be discussed in more detail in the following.
Air ionizers were created to purify the air by utilizing electricity to charge air on a molecular level. Instead of using filters and fans separately to purify air, these type of units has been created. Air ionizers are compact but have the ability to remove harmful pollutants, allergens, molds, mildews, smoke and more, which are all detrimental to breathe in on a consistent basis.
No matter how frequently one cleans their home or office setting, there are microscopic particles that go easily unnoticed to the naked eye. For those individuals who have asthma and allergies, as well as, other respiratory or immune systems ailments, will benefit the most from utilizing air ionizers – but they are a great addition for everyone, pets too!
Air ionizers greatly rely on the chemical properties of various particles to work properly, which is never an issue because there are millions of particles in the air at all times. The word ion is just another word for a particle that is either positively or negatively charged. These particles can literally be anywhere, and continue to pile upon each other if not properly removed.
When an ionizer is turned on, it is releasing negative ions that can then bond with the plethora of positive ions that are floating around in an indoor environment. They help balance the air by creating an indoor ozone system – like the balance that occurs naturally outdoors. When the bonds of positive and negative ions are created, particles then are captured, removed and easy to either vacuum up or wipe away.
What Does an Air Ionizer Do?
Many of the air purifiers that are available on the market today come equipped with built-in ionizers now. The air ionizers are responsible for creating a balance within residential and commercial settings. Capturing particles, allergens, and odors in a very efficient and effective manner, air ionizers are what purify and sanitize air to increase air quality and respiratory health. One thing that people do need to remember though is to consistently change the HEPA filters within so the unit can remain properly functioning.
Utilizing electricity, when the ionizer is turned on, it produces and releases negative ions into the air. These negative ions then attach themselves to particles in the air (positive ions) and then all of a sudden, filters are able to capture these particles more easily and the remainder can either be swept, vacuumed and/or wiped away. Some are so powerful that they can remove the odors associated with fire and smoke damage, as well as, mold and mildew damage.
It is strongly suggested to continuously check the lifespan of the HEPA filter to ensure that it is absorbing as much as it can at all times. Depending on the environment that it is placed in, will determine how often it will need to be changed. Although they come with a general lifespan, it is important to check because not every indoor environment is the same. More often than not, more HEPA filters will be gone through in the beginning, but after constant use, this amount will drop as the air ionizers continue to do their job.
How to Choose the Best Air Ionizer Purifier
Like you do when buying any product, knowing your indoor needs is the first step towards identifying the right air purifier. For instance, if you have an allergic condition, you may want to prioritize on a device that surely eliminates the type of allergic pollutants your body reacts to the most. In the case of an air ionizer purifier, however, there is more you need to consider that just your expectations from the device. To start with, understand how and air ionizer purifier works,
- Many types of air purifiers have built-in ionizers that trap dirt particles and pollen in addition to the HEPA filters most modern devices come with.
- With air ionizers, some sort of ionized needles are released into the air once you put the air purifier on. These ‘needles’ or electrons are then what causes charged negative ions that can trap dust molecules and release them onto the ground surfaces, or some get into the air purifier and are trapped by its filters.
By now you should understand that there are two major types of air purifiers; one that uses ionizers primarily to remove dirt and hair fur in your house, and another which uses both the ionizers and normal HEPA filters. All in all, here are other major factors you should consider as you plan to buy an air purifier.
- The Air flow standards – Make sure that the air purifier has a high standard air flow rate with clear inlets and outlets.
- Energy Efficiency – Only buy a device with an energy star label or one with a very low energy consumptions rate.
- The presence of smart features – In addition to having a great design, ensure you buy a device with a digital screen, a remote control or at least some smart features that will help you easily control and maintain it.
- Low Ozone emission – The greatest flaw with many ionizer purifiers is that they can at times emit a high amount of ozone gas. Be very careful, therefore, and only select a device that emits manageable or negligible amounts of ozone.
- Check the ability to eliminate odors and bacteria -The best ionizer purifier must be good at eliminating not only dirt and spore particles but also be able to eliminate unwanted gases like smoke and some viruses with efficiency.
Air Ionizer Benefits
Numerous benefits accompany the utilization of the best air ionizer purifiers. It may not be a widely known fact, but people consume close to 35 pounds of air daily. Humans and animals rely on air not only to live but for energy as well. Air alone is responsible for about half of one’s energy, which one can see if the air quality is poor – energy levels will be decreased. People generally spend about 80% of the time indoors, so it is important for the air to be balanced as it is outdoors. This is where the air ionizer comes in; benefits are listed below.
- Removal or harmful allergens, dust, chemicals, fumes and odors
- Increase air quality
- Enhance overall respiratory health
- Kills harmful bacteria and molds
- Balances the positive and negative ions in indoor environments
- Kills viruses easily passed through the air
- Helps those individuals who may suffer from seasonal allergies
- Reduces indoor air pollution
- Acts as a natural air freshener
It is evident that the benefits that air ionizer purifiers are beneficial to those who invest in them. Not only to humans but for animals as well. Living indoors, there still needs to be a balance in the air that we breathe and clean air is far more beneficial. While not only being able to reduce harmful pollutants, chemicals, and odors, air ionizer purifiers have the ability to handle everything on their own with a little electricity. It is difficult to understand how many harmful things are floating around in the air because they are microscopic and naked to the human eye. Although people may clean on a regular basis and utilize HEPA filtration systems in their vacuums, this is added and extra insurance that particles floating around are bonded and able to be picked up more easily – rather than continue to float around and being breathed in.
HEPA Air Purifier VS Ionic Air Purifier
The main difference between a HEPA air purifier and an Ionic air purifier is how each device removes dirt and impurities from the air.
A HEPA Air Purifier
Ideally, a HEPA air purifier sucks in dirt contaminated air through a dense physical filter, traps all the dirt and unwanted pollen particles, and then pushes clean fresh air back into the room. HEPA filters are very efficient and most of them will eliminate dirt and pollen with an efficiency rate of between 97% and 99%.
HEPA air filters are very popular with airplanes, hotels, and homes even though they require regular cleaning and replacement after a while. The replacement is necessary because their airflow resistance tends to increase depending on how much dirt and pollen they have trapped. And a less air flow will definitely lead to lower efficiency rates with the air purifier. For the better part though, HEPA air purifiers do not produce any unwanted pollutants as they use a mechanical filtration system.
Ionic Air Purifier
Ionic air purifiers do not have any filters. Instead, these devices are either air ionizers or simply electrostatic precipitators. The latter has plate looking devices that are positively and negatively charged. As a result, dirt, pollen, bacteria and all sorts of unwanted materials that get into the air purifier are trapped onto these electron charged plates as clean air is left to get back into the room. Unfortunately, electrostatic precipitator air purifiers are not very efficient. Okay, they can be effective while the plates are clean or new, but generally, they are poor and inefficient most of the time.
On the other hand, air ionizers release charged ions into the air. These charged ions attach themselves to dirt particulates and force them to drop down on the floor. Unfortunately, the charged ions could also get into your lungs, plus the ozone some ionic air purifiers produces is simply put; shocking.
What are the Dangers of Air Ionizers?
Just in case you forgot, an air ionizer is a standalone device that releases negatively charged ions into the room to attract positively charged molecules like dirt; bacteria, pollen, and allergen particles. When bonded, these particles become too heavy and are forced to drop onto the floors, sofas or on the tables.
Unfortunately, air ionizers produce ozone gas, which is very dangerous to your health. Yes, many air ionic air purifiers claim they emit zero percent ozone gas, or some will claim they produce very minimal amounts. But the truth is that most air ionizers emit some form of ozone. Fortunately, Federal laws restrict Ozone gas emission to .05ppm.And though it may sound like a negligible amount, any ozone could be dangerous to your health. Here is why,
- Most manufacturers’ devices produce Ozone in bigger amounts than .05ppm.
- The Ozone tests done by manufacturers are done in the lab, and unfortunately, there are many triggers that could lead to an increase in Ozone production once charged ions are released into your house.
- Any amount of Ozone breathed in by someone with allergies or asthmatic conditions make their conditions worse.
- Just imagine breathing in needle like particles or Ozone gas, does that sound safe to you?
- Ozone gas, when breathed in presence of other oil based aerosols, could produce harmful carcinogenic compounds like Formaldehyde.
- About half of people who buy an air purifier are usually after preventing the effects of their allergic conditions, they are asthmatics or very sensitive to dirt and small particles. Unfortunately buying an air ionizer could only make your problem get worse.
Finally, note that most air ionizers are ineffective and only work well in the presence of a HEPA filter
With the assistance of this review and guide, one now knows the top five air ionizer purifiers that are currently available on the market, and this should offer much insight on which would be the best air ionizer purifier to purchase. Depending on the environment in which the ionizer purifier will be used, as well as, an addition to personal preference, with the help of our air ionizer reviews people should be guided down the right path now in knowing what ionizers do and why they should invest in a top rated air ionizer.